Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Continuing My Education

Last week I went to a disappointing public relations conference in Logan, Utah. The speakers were great and the food was good but I was disappointed in the turn out. They did not promote the event and it was sad to see very few of their own students show up. They were charging 35-40 dollars a student to attend and I think that is just outrageous. Skip the lunch and dinner and offer breakfast. It is cheaper and will last all day.

I was only able to attend one day worth of seminars because I had to get back to my family, but what I did see I enjoyed. The second day may have had a better turn out.

I was speaking with one of my former professors and current department head Ted Pease about teaching at the collegiate level. I was asking him what they look for and what I should do to even be considered for a position at USU or any other college. To even teach at most respectable universities you have to have a Master's Degree and at least 3-5 years real world experience.

This chat inspired me to further my education. I am not going back right away but I am looking into get a second Bachelor's in political science and then applying for a Master's in public relations. The hard thing is I do not think I want to move anywhere to go to school. I did find a program through Montana State University in Billings that is all online. My second choice (to no ones surprise) is University of Texas in Austin. They have one of the best grad programs in the country for pr and advertising, but I would have to mover there. I would not mind moving back for a few years but there is no way in I could convince Matt.

No comments: